Friday, October 12, 2012

Accidental Pumpkin Biscuits


This is a funny story!  So Wednesday I had this idea to try and make Pumpkin Gnocchi.  I had just gotten home from work and thought I could just whip them up.  I made the batter, it was looking really good and it tasted yummy.  But when I put them in the water they kind of fell apart.  They blew up and looked all mushy and tasted not that great.  So I was disappointed.  I didn’t use all the batter because it was a loosing prospect to make some more yucky gnocchi.  So I thought: OK maybe this batter would make good cookies, it’s pretty similar ingredients, it’s just missing sugar and butter (and had flour-I don’t know what I was thinking with the cookies).  But without stopping to think I plopped the dough in the oven.  15 minutes later the timer went off and out I pulled…Pumpkin Biscuits?  Yup I looked at those puppies and thought: hey those look like biscuits.  And when I tried one, I’ll be darned if they didn’t taste like delicious pumpkin biscuits.  Sometimes when cooking/baking you just have to be open to change and go with the flow.  And I’m glad I didn’t just get frustrated and throw out the batter.  Now I know how to make pumpkin biscuits and now you can reap the rewards of my kitchen adventures!

Ingredients:

Pumpkin Puree, 1 ½ cups (See Oct 1st to make your own real pumpkin puree)

Nutmeg

Egg

Flour, 1 ½ cups

 

Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray and cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

Step 2: Mix together pumpkin, nutmeg, and egg.

Step 3: Mix in flour ½ cup at a time.  Mix until just incorporated.
 

Step 5: Do not continue on to make gnocci, lol.

Step 6: Place in an oven heated to 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
 

And you’ve got yourself some biscuits.  They would go great on the side with Roasted Pumpkin (Oct 7).  
 
[Pro Tip: Liking 31 Days of Pumpkin on Facebook makes you an official Pumpkin Lover]

I was just told by my fiance that some of the world’s greatest innovations were made by accident.  I like to think these pumpkin biscuits are right up there with the wheel.  So go and try these and take with you the spirit of flexibility.  You might find that it can help you in non-pumpkin related ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment