Friday, October 5, 2012

Pumpkin Spices: Pumpkin Tea and Coffee


When the cold weather starts to move in, for me that means I’ll be drinking more hot tea (and for my fiancee just has much coffee as usual).  It’s nice to have a nice warm cup of coffee in the morning to get you going or a soothing cup of tea in the evening to warm up a cold night.   Since, this is 31 days of Pumpkin I’m going to teach you how to Pumpkin Spice those drinks!

First you need to know what I mean when I say Pumpkin Spices.  The Pumpkin Spices are Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger, Allspice, and Ground Cloves.  I say, to make something Pumpkin spiced you need to use at least 3 out of 5 (but definitely cinnamon, which everyone should have).  I use them all except Cloves.  You should have most of these already, but go ahead a splurge on 1 or 2 more.  It will be worth it because you’ll get more mileage out of a jar of spice then you will a bag of pumpkin spice coffee, or a tiny jar of pumpkin pie spice (which is just all of the those spices marketed as something more).  Plus you’ll be using them all month making delicious Pumpkin treats with me!  

Now how can we use those spices to our advantage? 

Step 1: Get out your regular filtered coffee maker (sorry one cup coffee maker owners, you’ll have to just go out there and buy the pumpkin spiced cups).

Step 2: Add a few healthy shakes of your pumpkin spices to the bottom of the coffee filter, before you put into the coffee.  Note:  The more coffee you are making the more spice you should use. 

[Pro Tip: A healthy shake is a big heavy handed shake- the more spice the better in my opinion]

 

Step 3: Add desired amount of coffee and brew

Step 4: For Tea you need a tea ball and loose tea.  If you are already drinking tea this way then it’s an easy process.  Just add some of your pumpkin spices to the loose tea you are brewing.  Don’t be afraid to experiment with different teas!  But if you a bagged tea drinker like me there are Pumpkin Teas out there in grocery stores just waiting for you pick one up.

That’s good right?  Now you can have delicious pumpkin coffee or tea in the comfort of your own home.  Why not also pair it with those yummy pumpkin pancakes.  Or try it out tomorrow when I cover pumpkin scones!

Going food shopping with weekend?  In addition to picking up some new spices, also get yourself a couple of pumpkins!  Saturday we’ll be cooking up another pumpkin for this week’s delicious pumpkin treats!  You will see pumpkin scones, pumpkin pasta, and roasted pumpkin--just to name a few : ) 

(Remember: You're Pumpkins should be sugar pumpkins.  Check out the one I got last week)



Hey here’s an opportunity to cook with me!  On Saturday morning, Oct 6th, I’ll be cutting up and cooking my pumpkin (See Oct 1st to prepare) and making pumpkin scones!  If you want my advice, to ask me questions, or just want to cook along with me, follow me on twitter at 9:30am! 


Remember to check out the side bar to see previous posts and connect to other social media sites for 31 Days of Pumpkin!  Don’t forget this blog also has an app form so if you log on to the site on your phone it will be easy to read!  That’s so helpful!  See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment